Consequences of tooth loss can be drastic. Tooth loss in children can be filled as they grow permanent teeth. But in adults tooth loss can be of a higher consequence which may affect their smile. Gum disease which is nothing but periodontal disease is the number one cause of tooth loss among adults. Because of the tooth loss not only the smile can be affected but also the skin which is around your mouth can become loose which results in the sagging. As a result you may appear much older. Missing teeth will also cause health problem which includes trouble with chewing, talking, and chronic headaches.
In this article you will read about the consequences of tooth loss which may lead to further health problems.
Causes of tooth loss
- Gum disease
- Poor oral health
- Tooth loss due to an accident
- Due to increases plague on the tooth
- Bruxism (grinding teeth due to stress)
- Dietary habits
- Acid levels increased in food
- Smoking and Alcohol
- Medical treatments.
Consequences of tooth loss
- Gap between teeth: This is one of the most common consequences of tooth loss. If the tooth is missing it creates a gap between the teeth which may look very weird and ugly when you laugh and also deforms the skin in the mouth. . The shifting of can create new spaces between the other teeth in which food can stuck up.
- Moving of teeth: Because of the loss of the teeth, the other teeth can lose the firmness in the gum which may lead to the moving of the teeth. This is also one of the consequences of tooth loss.
- Bone loss: As the spaces are created in between the teeth and the teeth starts to shift from their place. Hence, The spaces become more difficult to maintain and are susceptible to penetration by the cavity-causing bacteria. And also to gum disease, which over the long term can lead to bone loss.
- Difficulty in Chewing: One of the consequences of tooth loss includes, Chewing with a fewer teeth increases the workload of the remaining teeth which can lead to premature wear.
- Health issues: Because of the loss of tooth bacteria can attack the area very easily which may cause health problems as they may enter in to the body. In addition to that as the coarser food is chewed it may lead to the improper proper digestive and nutrient extraction functions. If the situation is not managed and treated in the long run it may also cause mouth cancer and other chronic diseases.
- Speech Issues: Gaps because of missing teeth can make it difficult to pronounce certain words. You may experience problems such as slurring, whistling or even spitting when speaking.
- Loss of Confidence: Loss of tooth results in the self-consciousness and dis-satisfaction which may result in a person hesitating to speak and mingle within the group which may lead to loss of confidence.
Tooth loss is one of the critical issues which cannot be neglected, if you neglect it may take toll on your overall lifestyle. Visit your dentist if you experience such problems.
Sky Dental hospital in Vijayawada provides high-quality dentistry & also artistic skills that can improve a person’s health, smile, and confidence. Sky Dental Provides services like Root canal treatment, Gum Treatment, Implants, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Full mouth Rehabilitation and much more. Apart from this, there is a separate ward for any dental problems related to Children.